National Rural Electric Youth Tour
A Washington, D.C. Trip
Each year, rural electric cooperatives across the nation sponsor roughly 1,500 students on the Rural Electric Youth Tour to Washington, D.C. The Youth Tour program continues to foster the grassroots spirit of the rural electric cooperatives by demonstrating to high school juniors and seniors how our government works and what the electric cooperative business model is all about.
Each year, Stearns Electric Association sends one high school junior or senior on an all-expense paid trip to the Washington, D.C. Rural Electric Youth Tour. The selected student will visit with congressional representatives, tour some of the most famous museums in the world, and make memories and friends that will last a lifetime. Learn how to apply below.
To select one high school junior or senior to represent Stearns Electric Association at the Rural Electric Youth Tour in Washington, D.C.
The contest is open to any current high school junior whose family is a member of the Cooperative.
- Complete the Stearns Electric Youth Tour Application.
- Contestant shall write a 300 word essay on the benefits of the Cooperative model for electric service.
- Submit a recommendation letter from a teacher or advisor.
- The top finalists will be interviewed by the judging committee.
- First Place – All expense paid trip to Washington, D.C. for the Rural Electric Youth Tour
- Second Place – First Alternate and $150.
- Third Place – Second Alternate and $100.
- First 15 applicants receive a $20 Gift Card.
- Tour Dates: June 15-20, 2019
- Essays and completed applications must be received at Stearns Electric Association no later than 4pm, February 15, 2019.
- Applications are available below, at the Stearns Electric Association offices and at your school’s counseling center.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE MREA YOUTH TOUR: