National Rural Electric Youth Tour
A Washington, D.C. trip of a lifetime – Be There. Be Heard. Be Inspired.
Each year, rural electric cooperatives across the nation sponsor roughly 1,500 students on the National Rural Electric Youth Tour to Washington, D.C. The Youth Tour program continues to foster the grassroots spirit of the rural electric cooperatives by demonstrating to high school juniors and seniors how our government works and what the electric cooperative business model is all about.
Stearns Electric Association sends one current high school junior or senior on an all expense paid trip to the National Rural Electric Youth Tour in Washington, D.C. every year. The selected student will visit with congressional representatives, tour some of the most famous museums and monuments in the world and make memories and friends that will last a lifetime. Learn how to apply below.
To select one student to represent Stearns Electric Association at the National Rural Electric Youth Tour in Washington, D.C.
The contest is open to any current high school junior or senior whose family is a member of the Cooperative.
- Complete the Stearns Electric Youth Tour Application.
- Write and submit a 300-word essay on the benefits of the Cooperative business model.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a teacher or advisor.
- The top finalists will be interviewed by a judging committee.
- First Place – All expense paid Washington, D.C. Youth Tour.
- Second Place – First Alternate and $150.
- Third Place – Second Alternate and $100.
- First 15 applicants receive a $20 gift card.
- Tour Dates: June 20-25, 2020 – Cancelled in 2020 by NRECA due to COVID-19.
- The application period for 2020 is now closed, check back here for 2021 information.
- Applications for 2021 will be available below, at the Stearns Electric Association offices and at your school’s counseling center in December 2020.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE NRECA YOUTH TOUR: